You know a TV show is great when you're watching a show and you actually feel as if the situation on screen is happening in real life. The Office (UK version) is just that... You watch the show and the entire time you feel awkward and embarrassed as if you're the one committing the unimaginable acts performed by the socially retarded David Brent (played by Ricky Gervais).I just had to buy this complete series set since this is probably my second favorite TV series after the Family Guy. In my opinion, it's just genius, although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't get it. It's definitely a different type of humor.
It's also bitter-sweet. The entire series consists of 12 episodes and 2 Christmas special episodes that wrap things up. 14 episodes seem like too little but at the same time, there is no way The Office can be dragged on more than that. In my personal opinion, I think that's the beauty of it. It portrays the entire story line in 14 episodes, it captures the full attention of the viewers and ends at the top of its game. But the viewer isn't fully satisfied... The viewer wants more.
Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, creators of The Office, were summoned by NBC to continue on with an American version of The Office. I haven't seen an episode of the American version mainly because I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed (Have you seen American Dad? It's amazing that Seth MacFarlane can create something as good as Family Guy but turn around and fuck up so badly with American Dad. It's probably because all he did was mimic Family Guy with different characters... There's no originality with American Dad). Also, the cast of the UK version was so perfect that I don't think the American version can even come close to the UK version even if they have Steve Carell. How do you top characters like Gareth Keenan (played by Mackenzie Crook) and Keith Bishop (played by Ewen Macintosh)? However, I did put the first season of the American version in my Netflix queue just to see how good or bad it is. The general consensus seems to be that the American version isn't too bad, although the UK version is better. I have a feeling that when it comes to contemplating the purchase of the American version of The Office, it won't be a no brainer as it was with the UK version.
No comments:
Post a Comment